2013年7月9日星期二

Beauty is as beauty does


    I once had a young lady ask me, "why is it that the guys I like don't like
me, and the guys who like me, I don't like". Some cultures still match up
couples through matchmakers or by arranged marriages between families.
I remember thinking in college that I was not having much luck on my
own and n1aybe these cultures had it right. Today we are going to address
the art of flirting, letting the guy you like know in an "appropriate way"
that you are interested. What do we do? What do we say? We often become
so unsure of ourselves that we resort to dressing and acting in ways that
don't really represent who we are, in order to get a guys attention. Or, in
sharp contrast, we clam up and become a wallflower that doesn't know how
to talk to a guy and even runs from a room if one approaches.

    God has given you gifts and talents. One n1ay be a talented athlete who
has the gift of humor, while another may be talented in music and have the
gift of grace. Being comfortable with who you are, is the key to flirting.
I will talk a lot about not buying into the world's view of relationships,
except in this one case. If you watch a television show and just focus on the
characteristics of women who are flirting, though usually inappropriately,
they all appear very "sure of themselves".

    Here are some questions to think about:
    Do you look your friends in the eye when they talk to you, but look away
from a guy you like?
    Do you actually talk to the guy you like or tell a friend to talk to him?